RE: "Each and Every" and "Whether or Not"

Subject: RE: "Each and Every" and "Whether or Not"
From: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
To: "Keith Hansen" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 15:36:32 -0700

Keith Hansen wrote:

> I'm editing material written by an author who uses the words "each and
> every" repeatedly. For example: "Each and every transaction is
recorded
> in the log."
>
> Is there any reason to use "each and every"? Why not one of the
> following:
> "Each transaction is recorded in the log."
> "Every transaction is recorded in the log."
>
> I view "each and every" as redundant:
> * If EACH transaction is recorded, that implies EVERY transaction is
> recorded.
> * If EVERY transaction is recorded, that implies EACH one is recorded.

Keith:

"Each" emphasizes the individuals in a group; it's used when
you want to express an idea like "one by one": "I carefully
recorded each transaction in the log."

"Every" is also used with singular nouns, but it's used when
you're writing about the whole group, or about those things
in general; its meaning is close to "all": "The log contains
a record of every transaction."

It's a subtle distinction.

"Each and every" puts even more emphasis than "each" on the
individuals in a group, and it's likely to distract your
readers if it's used indiscriminately.

If I were in your place, I'd use either "each" or "every"...
And I wouldn't obsess too much over which one I chose.

> Similarly, the author uses "whether or not": "This report
> indicates whether or not the process was successful."
>
> Again, why not: "This report indicates whether the process was
> successful." By implication, the report either tells me "Yes,
> it was successful" or "No, it was not successful."

"Whether or not" is best used to mean "regardless", as in "I'm
making this edit whether or not you approve." In your example,
"whether" is, indeed, more perfectly correct.

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList