Re: The audience doesn't know what it needs was: RE: What is "wellWritten"?

Subject: Re: The audience doesn't know what it needs was: RE: What is "wellWritten"?
From: JLShaeffer -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:46:52 EDT

What is frequently going on, is that the users know what they need, but they
have not been able to express their needs in a way that makes sense to the
developers.

Simple hypothetical example:
Users and developers agree on a list of the buttons and tools that should
appear on a screen in a user interface. The first time that the users see a
sample of the screen, they can instantly tell you two or three essential items
that are missing from that screen that were not on the agreed-upon list. It's
not that the users were "too stupid" to notice the gaps in the list. The mind
just works differently when confronted with an abstract list compared to the
actual implementation.

The only answer seems to be multiple iterations (even with the best tools
for early communication). If multiple iterations while the software is being
developed is what is meant by multiple testing, then I agree. If you mean
testing after the code is frozen, I don't agree.

Jim Shaeffer

On 5/16/07, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:
I don't know
how low the level of knowledge of the average SW user is, not being in that
business, but for the products I've worked on, when I encounter people who
express the view that the users don't know what they want or need, it usually
just turns out that the the users have a pretty good idea what they want and
need and the people who think they don't are developers and/or product
managers who have simply not taken the time to find out.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList