Refine vs limit

Subject: Refine vs limit
From: Joanne Wittenbrook <jwittenbrook -at- ameritech -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

Barker, Evelyn G wrote:

> Is there a generally accepted usage for "limit" vs. "refine" when
talking about a search? In other words, is there something that spells out
when in an interface you use "limit a search" vs. "refine a search"? Do
they mean or imply different functionality, and is this spelled out in
a style book or other authoritative place?

> I checked the techwr-l site for this and my MS Manual of Style but
didn't see anything to answer this.
It would depend on the construction of the search engine algorithm. Limit would be the values that would follow "not". Refine might include values such as "and" "all of" and "exact phrase".

Joanne

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList