RE: documenting a database

Subject: RE: documenting a database
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:11:13 -0400

John Posada wrote:

I agree, but I disgree on approach....Every DBA uses a database and they already know how to use it.

Once again, it all depends on the audience. John is "documenting the database" for DBAs, I'm usually documenting applications built on RBase (gosh, does that date me or what) or Access for end-users who don't know a field from a form and don't care. Some of them will willingly attend a BOCES or community college seminar, most need mucho hand-holding.

My last DB-doc gig was for a nifty application developed by a funeral home director, a turn-key system he sold to other directors to automate their standard processes. It's amazing how many government forms are required when a body has to cross state lines. He hired a local kid cheap to create the application, then the kid moved on for better pay and the boss discovered that not one word of documentation had been included where it should have been and the Gummint would only accept his fill-in forms if they exactly matched the originals. Enter the tech writer/forms designer who knew enough about databases to be truly dangerous. It was an interesting summer and the neighbors downstairs were quiet.

So it all depends. "And so it goes."

Dori Green

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList