Re: Web site legal disclaimers

Subject: Re: Web site legal disclaimers
From: "Poornima Padmanabhan" <nimapaddy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Ken Poshedly" <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 11:15:01 -0700

Ken,
I recently worked on getting a legal web kit in place. I'm no legal expert
myself, but what I found worked for me was a three-part process:

1. A lit-study of about 50 websites to understand the type of legal
disclaimers used (across related industry domains such as software and
telecommunications), style/tonal considerations (how scary must you sound
and so on!), and extent of detail needed. This helped me list a series of
scenarios that absolutely NEED to be covered.

2. A study of the quality and regulatory standards in place (specific to
geographical region) for the industry domain. From this study, I built on
the scenario list significantly and removed items that were redundant or
just not valid any longer.

3. A quick chat with a legal consultant on what types of legal content we
needed on the website. Many companies now have their Terms of Use, Privacy
Statement, and User Agreements up on their website. The need for these
varies on how the website will be used. For information-only websites, the
Privacy Statement and Terms of Use would probably suffice, but on
transaction-based websites, it is important to have every manner of
agreement covered. It is also imo, necessary to have the content vetted by a
legal SME.

I think the key is to identify the legal artifacts required first, write all
the scenarios next, and only then start to write the actual content. It's a
lot of research to plan the content out from scratch, but the good part is,
actually writing out the content is a surprisingly small part of the
process.

Good luck, and feel free to check back if you have any questions.
~Poornima Padmanabhan