Re: Justification for hiring and realistic deadline

Subject: Re: Justification for hiring and realistic deadline
From: Michele Marques <msmarques -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 09:26:28 -0400 (EDT)

I've been in similar situations before, where I worked
crazy hours and then was able to work with my manager
to hire additional staff.

The first time this happened, my manager recognized
the need without my prompting.

The second time this happened, I had to justify the
need. Instead of documenting my past history (to show
current overload vs normal time), I documented what
was needed for the upcoming projets. I listed all
major areas requiring documentation, along with
timelines and required manpower. I seem to recall that
if I documented everything by myself, I would be
required to work 23 or so hours per day 7 days per
week. Management agreed to hire 2 additional technical
writers.

Good luck.

- Michele
http://mmarques.livejournal.com