Re: Information Engineers

Subject: Re: Information Engineers
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 09:57:13 -0700

I don't think that most engineers have any expectation that the
tech writer - even one with an engineering background - is
going to understand the tech behind their work as well as they
do. But they're mightily impressed when the writer understands
it better than they expect you will.

Anecdote: in that first documentation job I had, the system
being documented was an automated substrate processor for
flat panel display glass. The first time I received an engineer's
input, I saw that he had noted that the system preheated glass
to 4000C. I asked him if this might be a typo, because wouldn't
glass melt at that temp? Was it supposed to be 400C? His
immediate comment back to me was "the last guy we had in
your place wouldn't have known that."

Now, you probably don't need an engineering degree to know
that 4000 C would melt glass, but they also probably don't
teach that in the English Lit program.

Gene Kim-Eng