RE: Problem Co-worker

Subject: RE: Problem Co-worker
From: Gause_Brian -at- emc -dot- com
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:59:55 -0400

I would take this directly to management. If she's as loud and annoying
as you make her out to be, you're not the only one frustrated by her.

I would approach management and talk about "respect", "professionalism",
"tolerance", "work frustration" (as it relates to productivity) and the
"standards of office behavior". Politely tell your manager that you're
bothered by her behavior in a way that disturbs your productivity and
sanity. You're working under unacceptable conditions. The key is to
focus on how this behavior negatively impacts your work...so talking
about general notions of "respect" and "professionalism" will lend
credence to your complaint.

It's difficult to deal with team members who lack professionalism and
respect for their fellow employees. If you're uncomfortable in your job
because of this woman, you should be clear and concise to your superiors
about the problem and let them take over. That's step one.

If your management doesn't solve the issue, then you've got a real
problem on your hands...now you should start considering ways to change
her habits. Think of her like a noisy cat who won't stop meowing and
clawing at the furniture. You need a water bottle to shake her out of
her negative energies.

I also second earlier suggestions to start replying by email. In terms
of changing her behavior, you should look for opportunities to realign
her thinking (i.e. get her used to e-mail questions and answers; maybe
she'll stop talking all the time).

If none of these suggestions works for you, consider this: sneak up
behind her at work, wrap her in a burlap bag (which you've tied shut),
then drag her downstairs and leave her outside so she can scream at the
rain...

Or not.

I wish you luck!

Brian Gause