Re: FrameMaker on Ubuntu

Subject: Re: FrameMaker on Ubuntu
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Mayur Polepalli" <dbmayur -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 15:48:33 +0530

General Google-able information seems to indicate problems with PS fonts if
you use Wine. Even Crossover Linux's compatibility db states "This
application installs, runs, and can accomplish some portion of its
fundamental mission." (
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=619)

As some articles state, VMware (especially the free VMware Server or Player)
are pretty decent workarounds. I use WinXP in a VMware Player VM on a daily
basis to run FrameMaker and other stuff. The only real requirement is more
RAM - minimum 512MB, recommended 768MB or above (especially if you're
running KDE or GNOME as your desktop manager).

Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/ ), the new open-source competitor to
VMware, can also run Windows, and may be a good alternative.

Regards,
Ed.

On 4/27/07, Mayur Polepalli <dbmayur -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I wanted to know if any of you have installed FrameMaker on an Ubuntu box
> using Wine?
> Any tips for the installation?
> Cheers,
> Mayur
>
> FrameMaker 7.1
> Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake)
>
> --
> http://arart.blogspot.com
> --
> IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
> addressee(s)
> named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged,
> or
> unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of
> humor, or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended
> recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not
> authorized (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating
> social faux pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its
> correct
> context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal
> or
> grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the
> transmission of this email; although the Collie next door is living on
> borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of
> the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message
> revealed by reading this warning backwards, so just ignore that Alert.
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
>
> Now shipping: Help &amp; Manual 4 with RoboHelp(r) import! New editor,
> full Unicode support. Create help files, web-based help and PDF in up
> to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual: http://www.helpandmanual.com
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/edgar.b.dsouza%40gmail.com

The trouble with young writers is that they are all in their sixties.
-- Somerset Maugham

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList