Re: A semi-hard landing....

Subject: Re: A semi-hard landing....
From: Troy Klukewich <tklukewich -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:20:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Frank:

Working for a start-up without an established technical writing department and manager can be a bit of a crap-shoot. If you're lucky, they have no clue and depend on you to set direction and standards. If you're not, unrealistic expectations drive the day.

You might have better luck working for a larger company that has already experienced the pain of making expensive (and arguably stupid) mistakes. Documentation-by-the-pound is one approach that some larger companies have already exhausted as being misdirected and expensive, especially when localizations into multiple languages are involved. Once the charges come in, people start asking if anyone is reading this stuff and often the answer is they are reading maybe less than half.

Troy Klukewich