New position? - FEEDBACK NEEDED

Subject: New position? - FEEDBACK NEEDED
From: TECHWR-L Administrator <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:12:16 -0600

Forwarded anonymously on request. Please reply on list,
so the original poster can see the response. TECHWR-L Admin
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Hello fellow TW's,

I'm in a unique position right now. There is a strong possibility of a
supervisory position becoming available in our TW department and I'm not
sure if I should apply for it or not. I'm hesitant because I'm not sure
if I'd be able to write as much (at least not end-user docs) and that
makes me a little uncomfortable because that's what I've been doing for
over 13 years. My manager has asked me what I want to do, which is
unique. She doesn't want me to be unhappy because I'm not writing. I'm
also fearful that if there's a layoff, I would be let go because I
wouldn't be dedicated to one project as I am now.

What's going on in our department that might warrant this position:

1) We're getting ready to implement a content management system (CMS)
2) Starting to train in XML and structured writing
3) Possibly hiring new writers to work on new, emerging projects

Since I'm not familiar with XML (although I have single-sourced and
written some HTML in a previous position) I'm not sure how much of my
time this will occupy. Is it unrealistic to think that I can still be
dedicated to a single project and help manage the implementation of a
CMS and learn XML?

Concerns:
Will there be enough of me remaining to supervise?
Does anyone else out there have a position similar to what I'm trying to
describe?
Any ideas on what a title for something like this would be?

I've sent this email anonymously in case anyone is lurking. Feedback
would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList