Re: Brushing up on tech skills

Subject: Re: Brushing up on tech skills
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:33:13 -0700 (PDT)

Besides brushing up on tech writer tools, study XML
and/or DITA. It seems to me that employers are looking
for those a lot more these days.

If you plan to work for software companies, I would
also recommend studying Java - maybe even going to
school and getting formal training on your record. A
lot of companies are looking for tech writers who can
work directory with code. Partly they want writers who
can analyze the code and do the commenting behind the
developers, because they figure the developers work
faster if they aren't "wasting" their time writing
comments. Partly (I think) they want secondary code
writers to help with overflow, and they figure hiring
a dual-skill tech writer is a cheaper solution than
hiring both a TW and a temporary coder. I've had a lot
of contacts from people who want the tech writer to
write code snippets in addition to writing the
documentation.

--- Joanne Wittenbrook <jwittenbrook -at- ameritech -dot- net>

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList