RE: Blogs for questions, blogs for answers

Subject: RE: Blogs for questions, blogs for answers
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:47:07 -0400

David Neely advised:

> Kevin McLauchlan opined:
>
> "Probably you get what you pay for...
>
> I am subscribed to several forums (fora?) for support of products, and for
> other purposes. Many use phpBB.
>
> It has its good points. Searching is not one of them."
>
> With respect, I should say that is tantamount to saying:
>
> "I have used Word. It has its good points. Numbered lists, master
> documents (or name your poison" aren't among them."
>
> Then using that as a reason that *all* content creation applications
> are similarly flawed.

Well no, actually, it's not. (You were on relatively firm ground until you
added that last sentence.) At least not if you retain my following
paragraph, which indicated that the actual reason (for the popular software
not being ideal in the places where I encountered it) might be set-up or
version related.

I ended with "YMMV". "Your mileage may vary" is widely recognized shorthand
for a straightforward admission that my experience is necessarily limited
and others might have enjoyed a different experience with the same product.

The general point of the message was to keep a clear eye and be aware of
possible limitations that might be important to folks like us. However, with
selective quoting, one can have people say things they never intended.

Kevin