RE: Giving up on XML

Subject: RE: Giving up on XML
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: techwhirlers <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:23:08 -0400

Last Monday, Ned Bedinger was saying:

> But you're right, documentation has other uses for structure (as a

> template for information collection, as a visual cue to a document's

> organization, ...), and IMHO human consumers and writers of

> documentation do seem to prefer documentation that has not been fully

> elaborated with empty-but-logical structure. I think of XML as a system

> for describing information to computers.

Ahh. This doesn't apply only to actual Structured Documentation (TM);

it could happen in rigid company style-sheets as well, but...

Am I the only other person who, in brushes with structured/mandated

stuff, has encountered "empty-but-logical structure"??

Have you folks never been writing along, start a new section or

appendix, want to jump right into (say) a table, but find that

you need to create an intermediate heading (which must say pretty

much what the title of the section says, and pretty much what the

table title says, without duplicating the exact words... and

maybe you are also forced to insert a paragraph of made-up

bumph, only to satisfy the tagging system or the style guide

that says there MUST be a sentence between heading levels...

when you didn't really want to insert that made-up heading

in the first place... and like that?

If I'm _not_ alone in this, what do y'all normally do?

Appendix C: Supported Algorithms

Table C1: Supported Algorithms

# Algorithm

0x0031 DES-CBC

0x0032 DES... and so on for three pages

... but instead....

Appendix C: Supported Algorithms

ALGORITHMS SUPPORTED

This appendix lists the cryptographic algorithms supported by the crypto API
that is the only subject of this entire document, but we absolutely had to
have a sentence here, as well as that redundant section heading, just above.

Table C1: Supported Algorithms

# Algorithm

0x0031 DES-CBC

0x0032 DES... and so on for three pages