Re: Giving up on XML

Subject: Re: Giving up on XML
From: "Mike Starr" <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: "Janice Gelb" <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>, "techwhirlers" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:23:08 -0500

Well, of course you're right... if I could think of a reason I'd need a
nanny to watch over my shoulder and make sure I didn't violate standards I'd
have to choose a different tool. I do think that, in spite of not having
been created by an "official" Structured Document Authoring Tool®, it could
still actually be a structured document. If it walks like a duck...

However, I suspect if the standard you're referring to had incorporated a
second head3-level style for those sorts of situations, your writers
wouldn't have felt compelled to use a head4 in its place. There should
always be a mechanism in place for situations that weren't anticipated when
the style guide/DTD was created. Even the best style guide needs to be
overridden once in a while. That's the value of an experienced writer.

But just out of curiosity, if one skips a level, is that inherently evil?
Isn't the resulting document still intact with respect to the heirarchy? And
even if it isn't is that in itself a fatal flaw if I can look at the
document structure and still make sense of it? In my case, there's nobody to
impose structure on my documents other than my own built-in standards that I
adhere to.

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer