RE: Pet Peeves

Subject: RE: Pet Peeves
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "Chris Borokowski" <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:18:02 -0400

In its apparently never-ending quest to show the rest of the world how
STUPID some people can be and apparently complete with Kansas in the "I
Don't Know Much About Science, But I know Adam and Eve Were Beamed Down
Here Fully Clothed in Upscale Outfits Only a Few Thousand Years Ago"
contest, some Georgians (usually not transplants) have taken upon
themselves to do the following:

* Push-Push-Push to have the Harry Potter books removed from all school
classrooms and school libraries. Laura Malloy, a mother of four in the
Atlanta suburb of Loganville started at the county school district level
and, after losing every vote by the various boards, has taken it all the
way to the state court level. Why? Because in her small mind, they
promote the learning of witchcraft and that apparently we're soon to
have a state (or nation) of witches and warlocks. Methinks her four
homeschooled kids are going to have a hard time after they leave home.

* Having stickers placed on the cover or just inside of all science text
books stating that evolution is only a theory and not to be taken as the
truth. This time is was the Cobb County School Board. And yep, it went
all the way to the upper levels of the state court system before a new
group of Cobb County school district board members voted to just drop
the whole matter, after paying humongous legal fees and having the
stickers removed or painted over or something. (I guess being made a
fool of on the nightly news across the country had an impact?)

Lest you think these are backwoods inbreeders (as a friend from Chicago
once called everybody down here), nope - Loganville in Walton County and
Cobb County have oodles and oodles of money and are locations where
many, many, many professionals live and work. Cobb County itself is home
to a sizeable high-tech sector of the local economy.

But unfortunately, religion trumps most other things down here - as most
transplants are disappointed to learn firsthand after moving here.

The Pet-Peeve connection? How supposedly educated adults still demand
that THEY force THEIR religious beliefs on all things non-religious --
even highly scientific and technical subjects.

As for me, I have no problem allowing anti-evolution and creationist
rants in science classes as soon as all the churches allow pro-evolution
proponents lecture with total openness at all their services.

When will they learn that science is a provable body of information, and
religion is a body of beliefs based only on one's faith and nothing
more?

And never the twain should meet.

Heck (Hell?), I'm surprised the "Religious Right" hasn't brought action
against Microsoft to have the dreaded word "Abort" removed from its
command structure (as in "Abort, Retry, Ignore"), and the dictionary
publishing houses to have it dropped completely.

Like they say, "Book-smart, but no common sense."

-- Kenpo
(Who's not from here either)