RE: Something a little more useful than: RE: Pet Peeves

Subject: RE: Something a little more useful than: RE: Pet Peeves
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>, Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:06:14 -0700 (PDT)

> Better yet, can we mandate that all advertising copy be truthful?
> (Double-Triple HA!!!! )

Truth is often based on perspective.

Example...how many of us claim to be FrameMaker experts because we've
been using it for 10 years and create some complex documents. We even
put it on our resume.

When read by someone who has been using FM for 2 years, that
statement is "Truth".

When read by someone who has been using FM since its first version
and holds an ACE designation, that statement is "Lie".

Don't get me wrong..I can be as critical of marketing hype as anyone.
I was listening to a radio commercial on the way into the office
today for the reality show where people learn how to ballroom dance.
They something about it being the "ultimate challenge" and I was
wondering how people just getting ready to climb K2 or Everest might
feel about that statement.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"They say everyone needs goals. Mine is to live forever.
So far, so good."