Searching WebHelp

Subject: Searching WebHelp
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:52:06 -0400

All,

I create WebHelp for our products. Previously, I used RoboHelp.

On one obscure page I have a list of cryptographic mechanisms that are
supported.

A customer,wanting to know if a certain set of algorithms was supported,
searched on a few terms (within the Help interface) and got no hits.

Hmm. I searched a couple that I knew were there, for example "ecdsa" and
also got no hits.

Hmm. I've had plenty of instances of partial-word hits when using that
search.
(Search for "serv" and you'll hit "serve", "server", "serving", "service",
etc.
What's wrong here?

The only oddity that immediately strikes my eye is that the terms in the
"mechanisms"
list are embedded in this fashion"CKM_ECDSA_KEY_PAIR_GEN", because they
are the C-language calls used to invoke the mechanisms/algorithms from our
firmware or library.

Do the leading/trailing underscore characters defeat the search?

Any suggestions - other than "create a couple of hundred Index entries"??

Kevin