Re: wiki's

Subject: Re: wiki's
From: "Ricardo Rodríguez - Your XEN ICT Team" <webmaster -at- xen -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:35:26 +0100

Hi all,

One perhaps silly question... why does no wiki engine use XML as internal markup language (stored in either flat files or database fields)? As far as I see, each wiki system has a its own markup language, at least this is true for MediaWiki, Twiki and xWiki, the systems I am using/have used here.

It could be a matter of simplicity for the end user, but at least for me, I think it is harder to try to explain users they must learn a new markup language that will be only used for entering contents in the wiki, but it must be edited again to produce a book, a booklet or any e-format other than the wiki by itself.

Another problem is how to enforce users to stick to a given template. It seems to me that this problem has never been considered by wiki designers as far as their main goal is freedom, not enforcement of rules. But from my point of view, freedom could be also be achievable by using XML as a markup language: the number of different tags is unlimited! And at the same time, a customizable DTD/EDD could be in the path between wiki contents and the final document.

Perhaps I am mixing up things here and in my mind, but I am trying to draw a general landscape looking for an option for our own group. Your discussion is of great interest for us. Thanks.

Cheers,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your XEN ICT Team

>>> iFaqeer (SIA)<techdarwaish -at- gmail -dot- com> 12/3/2007 23:40 >>>

Thanks for the detailed input!!

>From the looks of it--I haven't actually tried it out in detail--but
Twiki, DocuWiki (or is it Dokuwiki?) and even Media Wiki seem to
promise to export to XML directly. That was not an option in your
case? Or is it unsatisfactory? The one thing I have run into is that I
have to export a page at a time...

iF/SIA