Re: e-publishing a catalogue

Subject: Re: e-publishing a catalogue
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Ricardo Rodríguez - Your XEN ICT Team <webmaster -at- xen -dot- net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 13:20:22 -0700

Ricardo Rodríguez - Your XEN ICT Team wrote:

> But as far as I know, it is not possible to create an script and run it from a CD without having MySQL and PHP installed in a box. is it?

I think you're right, which leaves me with two rather unhelpful thoughts:

1. Provide PHP and MySQL for 3 platforms
along with the database snapshot on CD.
Or on DVD :-(

2. Cross your fingers and ask the catalog owner
to put the backend stuff on an internet web server.
Then put the web page on the CD and let it send
queries and receive results over the network.

> Of course with this solution some software is required running in the client box, but it is also required for a lot of websites and people probably have it already installed.

I wouldn't be surprised if major RDBS packages like Oracle have a
current distributable run-time (for three platforms?!), browser, and a
wizard for generating the browser files with pre-configured
static/dynamic queries. But if you don't have a package that can give
you an integrated, self-contained environment for the catalog on the
CD, I wouldn't count on the customer having the necesasary data tools
installed.

> Please, Ned, do you know any title could help me to enter this kind of solution? Thanks!!!

I googled Apache MySQL PHP Sams -- Sams puts out some readable 7-day or
21-day study guides that I've found useful--and there are books
targetted on how to use these three together. But there may be an even
better solution to the requirements, if your customer is flexible.
Consider the next idea...

Another search on Publish CD Catalog turned up software that sounds, at
a glance, like it could meet the requirements of your project. I've
never published an e-catalog, but I suspect that you'd have to dump the
snapshot data into another format to create the CD catalog, but what the
heck, right? Either you spend an unpredictable amount of time on a
custom solution, or you spend money to buy software that does what you
need. That might be the real right question for you to ask. Putting
myself in your customer's shoes, I would prefer using a cohesive,
attractive, easy-to-use CD Catalog product rather than a CD full of
fiddly bits that I need to make work before I can browse the catalog.
On the other hand, maybe your customer is technical and would enjoy the
Fiddly Edition. If it needs to be said, the decision could depend on
your customer and end users.

> I will try to have a huge virtual fun!!!

That's the stuff!

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com