Re: How to document a programming language?

Subject: Re: How to document a programming language?
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Sarah Bouchier <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 12:03:08 -0500

It's been a while - the last programming language I documented was a
Pascal to Assembler conversion back in '79 (shades of the Old PC
technology thread ...), but I don't think that things have changed all
that much.

Generally, you need two sections: concepts and commands. The Concepts
section explains all the things you have to know, organized by whatever
scheme makes sense to use. The Commands section lists commands in
alphabetical order, preferably grouped by some rationale (I/O,
processing, printing, arithmetic, logical, whatever ...). Each command
should follow the same sort of structured format: Name, Definition,
Functional Description, Syntax, Example, Notes ...

You're on the right track. Just keep in mind the basics of tech writing
- that it has to be easy to find and accurate one you find it - and
you'll be fine.

My 2¢,

John G