Re: certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: Re: certification (was: ranting STC)
From: "D. Michael McIntyre" <michael -dot- mcintyre -at- rosegardenmusic -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 18:15:05 -0500

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 12:40 pm, John Posada wrote:
> > use the Internet had access to it. Ah... 1995. The good ol' days.
>
> Remember Gophers? WAIS?, Archie and Veronica search engines? I think
> 91-92ish

Yup. I seem to have found my fellow geezers.

Raise your hand if you learned to type on a mechanical typewriter that didn't
have a 1 key.

<raises hand>

Then an IBM Selectric, and then one of the newfangledy ones that had the daisy
wheel and the magic eraser strip that could physically lift an errant letter
from the page.

Then Word Perfect 5.0. All hail Word Perfect 5.0. Word was such a piece of
CRAP back then. How did Word ever win? I remember back in college, a beer
money working in a copy center, typing reports and such. I had to resist the
urge to edit everything that came through, because the writing was SO bad.
But they had Word something or other on an original IBM PC, 4.77 MHz of zippy
do dah joy at a time when about the 386-33 was king.

I wonder if I can use editing other people's term papers at my copy center job
40,000 years ago on my résumé? That place went broke, and I never got my
last paycheck.

I'm only in my mid 30s, but I have lived through a lot of electronics
technology.

This has been an exciting time to be alive. Something like my great
grandfather being born in the steam age, and living until the beginning of
the digital age, except all our stuff is silicon, or carbon nanotubes, or
whatever comes after silicon.

Um. What was I saying?
--
D. Michael McIntyre