novice question

Subject: novice question
From: Christine Voillemin <wrkwriters -at- yahoo -dot- fr>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:45:21 +0100 (CET)

Hello Technical Writers Group or should I say bonjour because I live outside Paris?

Anyway, this is my first note through the listserve. I am interested in suggestions on how
to develop a medical, technical writing career. I have communicated with Kevin and Sean
and found their experience and suggestions helpful.

I have a Bachelors in Nursing and a Masters in Urban Planning. Don't ask. But if you must
ask. I like to draw portratis. Thus, (any chance to use thus) my first degree was in painting and than I got tired of my restaurant job and became a nurse. Then my work paid for my masters. Sooooo, using my art degree I got the Planning degree....

I worked for one year writing an architectural procedure manual. What a headache. I learned a lot from this experience. Especially how cubicles cause people to regress. Me and my cubicle
partner started our own version of "Survivor". We called in "Survivor Cubicle". We also created variations of Survivor Cubicle, one of which was called "Survivor Trailor Park". The manual is finished and many univerisity personnel find it useful.

Now, I am teaching english which is wonderful because I am actually learning english grammar in the process. In additon, I enjoy being quiet and listening and guiding. I find it very rewarding. The people that come to our language school are often of the highest cadre of professionals in France. As the French government pays for work related education courses, which include english lessons.

My husband is French and likes his job and we are likely to stay here indefinately. We have an infant son and basically are home all the time. So, I slowly realized, that perhaps technical writing might be an option. If I where to become a nurse in France I would be required to attend nursing school for one year; and take the test and they earn 25K under socialized medicine.

I would like to start with an online course. What computer programs do you suggest I become familiar with? I know the basics, word, excel, powerpoint. I wrote a thesis and a technical document. I also wrote a 300 page novel in three months. I can write. I have not focused on it and have kind of stumbled into this.

Sincerely, Christine

"Il faut toujours faire ce que l'on ne croit pas pouvoir faire."

-Eleanor Roosevelt-

("One should always do that one believes can not be done.")