RE: Speaking of indexing...

Subject: RE: Speaking of indexing...
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:18:13 -0800

Hi Dori,

> Somebody nameless just flamed me a good one off-list for
> taking a week to index our 50-page quality manual.

I think that most people will, or at least should, understand that taking a
week to complete one part of documentation project does not imply that all
of the work that week for that one part. Project management is not to
allocate one resource, in one time frame, to one task. That would be
absurd. Some tasks must be completed before or after others, while many
tasks can be assigned to the same time slot because dependencies, like other
people's time, are not 100% available, so some personal task juggling gets
involved. This is a simple principle of time and project management. The
flamer probably posted you off-list to avoid being confronted by the fact
that most people do not perform only one task in a week and making such an
assumption is simply foolish.

> Oh yeah, and took flak here at work for "goofing off" because
> I'm working at my computer, not walking around on the plant
> floor enough (in somebody's perception).

I remember on one contract, I was programming a spreadsheet to analyze a
contract for a trucking company. They wanted to compare actual costs to
contract costs. While programming my spreadsheet, I had assorted pop-up
windows and different page views going off all of the time. Microsoft makes
things looks appealing, like cartoons and games, so one co-worker told me
that it looked like I was playing games and not working. I explained what I
was doing and she left me alone. People think that they're "working" when
they speed walk through the office several times a day and engage in
pointless "water cooler" discussions with management. It's annoying, but I
think that they're jealous because I like my work and they seem to hate
their's.

Lauren