resumes/recruiters

Subject: resumes/recruiters
From: Joanne Wittenbrook <jwittenbrook -at- ameritech -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 19:32:32 -0800 (PST)

>I know that recruiters are typically inundated with positions and the
>resumes to fill these positions. I also know that most of the
>recruiters

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has spent months crafting a very targeted resume. Throughout my career I have been very successful in getting responses to my resumes. It is with the adoption of web submission and scanning of resumes that I suddenly find I cannot seem to hit the target. The problem is not just with recruiting agencies, it is with HR departments. I have run into a number of companies that seem to be "black holes" when it comes to their job submission site. There are positions that I've applied for months ago, that fit my very precise resume, and yet the position is never filled, at least the job post is never removed. One such position has been posted for over a year. I find it hard to believe that in a year they were unable to locate a technical writer. I know a few who are looking for work. There is one company ( I won't mention names) that has you fill out several pages of online forms with the specific skill set you have and the targeted job title.
It took me about 45 minutes to work through it. I get at least one "job alert" every day from them for everything from receptionist to steam shovel operator (I'm not exagerating.)

When I was a hiring manager, I dealt with stacks of resumes. I could go through them very quickly and come out with a handful of good candidates. The resumes I saw were well crafted, it was clear that a great deal of effort went into them. Considering all of the "how to" books and information on resume writing, it stuns me that job seekers put more and more effort into their resumes, make sure they have all the "key words" and a "scannable" resume. But recruiters and hiring managers seem to pay less and less attention to them as a hiring tool.

I had one recruiter remark that "resumes don't really tell you much anyway". So what the heck are we all doing?
Joanne