Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: Re: [TCP] certification (was: ranting STC)
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "Donald H. White" <dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:55:03 -0800

Donald H. White wrote:

I still have no idea why the concept of a professionalization program causes
so much ire.

I don't know about ire, but it does raise the issue of trust. Who would you trust to codify what it takes to be a certified tech writer? And who would you trust to understand what being certified means? To me it seems that interest in a general tech writing cert is trying to treat tech writing as if it were tech support, but it isn't so easy to say what competences are necessary for tech writing. For some jobs, we'd be qualified if we can write. In others, we'd be lost if we can't create C++ sample code. Who understands these things and thinks that any sort of general tech writing certicate makes sense? I'll answer the question: people who need only one type of tech writer and aren't aware of the enormous variety that exists in our field.

You go into an interview armed with your very good,
well-written and targeted resume as well as an outstanding portfolio and use
your winning personality to...not get the job. Why? Millions of reasons.

Are you saying that certification would change this? If so, how?

Can professionalization hurt those who might undertake it? No.

I don't know. But can "professionalization" replace the need of companies to understand their own documentation and training requirements? Certainly not, and that is what I think certification promises to do, however unlikely it is to be able to do that.

Can it hurt
those who don't undertake it? Maybe; depends upon how employers perceive and
receive the program.

Employers often perceive a degree in CSci or TechComm as a minimum requirement. They're just trying to demonstrate some awareness that professional tech writers are different from the teeming masses of people who can write. No doubt some would subscribe to a certification scheme too.

If having a certification helped me obtain work from
employers who specifically advertise for those holding professionalization,
then I'd go for it.

Are you going to hold your breath waiting for it? :-)

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com