RE: Google hits

Subject: RE: Google hits
From: "Matt Horn" <mhorn -at- adobe -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:05:46 -0800

Ken wondered:
> Remember how your Google search always seems to result in
> something like a gazillion hits?
>
> Obviously, the first bunch of hits are those which match
> exactly the keywords in the search box (at least I think they do).

Not true. Keyword matches are pretty far down on the list of why a site
has a higher "ranking" on google (and therefor shows up on the first few
pages). It's more about the "PageRank", Google's own scheme for
determining a page's importance. Google that for more info.

> But just for ships and giggles, how can one check out hit No.
> 1,768,341?
> Or anything else past the first bunch of pages?

One way to get to later hits quicker is to change the number of hits per
page to 100 here: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

Then, your first 10 pages includes the first 1000 hits. Doesn't get you
to hit 1,768,341, but it gets you closer.

hth,

Matthew J. Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
Adobe Systems, Inc.