Tiny Type for Product Inserts?

Subject: Tiny Type for Product Inserts?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:02:10 -0500

J. Paul Kent wondered: <<My client manufactures clinical diagnostic equipment and has for years distributed lengthy product inserts (PIs) that describe the FDA recognized capabilities of the product. The current product inserts are 20-25 letter size pages set in 10' type. They need me to reduce them to as small (miniature) as possible.>>

Your first stop should be the FDA, not us; your client's lawyers can tell you exactly where to look. (If not, your client needs to sack the slackers and hire someone who understands the laws that bind their industry.) FDA undoubtedly has extensive regulations on the legal requirements for these kinds of inserts. Don't bother asking for "opinion" until after you've satisfied those requirements. Once you have, ask us for help on meeting specific requirements; that's the kind of question that's fair game for this list.

<<I'm wondering about font sizes, page sizes, layout ideas, that kind of thing.>>

You might also want to look into the Americans With Disabilities Act (section 508) to see what they have to say about legibility. I'll bet that most package inserts I've seen violate the Act's legibility guidelines. I don't have a truly significant visual impairment, and I have trouble reading the Canadian equivalent of these PIs. Given that the U.S. requirements are far more onerous, and entail packing in considerably more information, I'd hesitate to go too small.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
Coming soon: _Effective onscreen editing_ (http://www.geoff-hart.com/ home/onscreen-book.htm)