RE: [TOOLS] Motherboard and CPU

Subject: RE: [TOOLS] Motherboard and CPU
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "Kevin McLauchlan" <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:58:12 -0500

Hi Keven,

I did this (build a component-based system) several years ago, and so
far, I've never looked back. At the time, I had a Windows 98 system
which took a major virus hit. I was a day late and a dollar short in
manually updating my "free" McAfee antivirus software. I remember it
well; the system would hang mid-way through the boot cycle. The computer
tech I took it to said that worm chewed through about 500 files, etc.
Since Windows 98 was already a bit out of date, I consulted with the IT
guy at my wife's engineering company, a real computer guru. He
recommended doing mail order purchase for individual components to build
a Windows XP system. He put together a list of items (case, power
supply, hard drive, CD drive, motherboard, memory, etc. - everything)
and provided brand names and model names, too.

I did what he said, and had it assembled for me at a local shop that I
also frequented, and in my situation, it worked out beautifully. Off the
top of my head, I recall that the motherboard is an ASUS, and it's doing
just fine, thank you.

And I bought the Norton Internet Security package with Live Update, and
it's saved my system numerous times. Whether or not you're a fan of
Norton, just get SOMETHING legitimate.

Now I'm sure lots of folks say this isn't cost effective and offers no
support, etc., but that's not so true. For one thing, any tech support I
need I can get virtually anywhere, and so can you. Thus, I'm not locked
into calling a Dell or Gateway tech support person in India who will
argue with me about my system being out of warranty (happened to a
former coworker whose system was STILL under warranty, and he says he'll
NEVER buy namebrand again).

I get a fully responsive desktop in less than a minute (which may or may
not be too slow for some of you) and all the power I need to do my
desktop publishing stuff, as well as the Autocad and Microstation things
my wife needs for her transportation engineering projects.

We did make a mistake, however - really my wife, the engineer did - and
bought an HP Pavilion system for our school-age kids. The big-box store
my wife used loaded that sucker with every piece of marketing and other
you-know-what they could find, so even after a good three or four
minutes or even five minutes, the desktop was ALMOST ready to respond to
a left-click on an icon. I called the tech support folks (yep, got
transferred to India) and they couldn't help speed things up. After
talking with all the IT people I knew to make sure I did it correctly, I
unchecked all except the most basic things in Start > Run > msconfig >
startup and it sped things up only marginally. I even brought it in for
the IT folks at my own firm to play with, let them adjust this and
adjust that setting and even upgraded the memory, but to no real avail.

All in all, the "homebuilt" system is far superior, costing less in
money and aggravation in the long run.

Is my situation like everybody else's? Probably not, but I'll do a
homebuilt system next time without a second thought.

So, what to get? I'd say you're on the right road. Talk to the IT folks
who you already know, and determine if they know their stuff and keep
your company's system running well. (If you're not happy with them, talk
to friends who ARE happy with their own IT departments.)

Or just put together a list of what you want your system to do,
including the software packages that you run or plan to run and check
with various SMALL computer shops for a custom system from one of them.
The small shops have less overhead and are usually more willing to work
with you in times of trouble so as to make sure you remain a loyal
customer. Do small shops fade away faster than the big-box stores? Yep,
but the tradeoff of getting better service from the small shop is worth
it to me.

-- Ken in Atlanta