RE: Value of Indexes in Short User Guides

Subject: RE: Value of Indexes in Short User Guides
From: "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust, Security\)" <David -dot- Chinell -at- GE -dot- com>
To: "Eddie Hollon" <eddiehollon -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:54:37 -0500

Eddie:

My favorite view of a tech writer is that he can do everything required to create a finished product. This includes the creation of text, images, and random access tools, like the index. However, the creation of a useful index is much more complicated and difficult than one might guess. It should always be more than an alphabetized list of headings.

I encourage all the writers in my shop to create indexes for any work over 50 pages in length, and am pretty forgiving as to the quality of the finished product, provided that it is workable, and that the writer is constantly striving to improve. (That's pretty much the situation we're all in -- we have some experience and are struggling to improve.) We just can't justify hiring a full-time indexer, or even outsourcing our indexing work.

The 50 page threshold is totally arbitrary. Actually, I think any work that warrants a TOC warrants an index, regardless of page count. I'm sure there are exceptions -- I'm just trying to emphasize that there really isn't a sensible lower limit that can be determined by page count (or topic or word count) alone.

I really like "The Art of Indexing" by Larry S. Bonura, ISBN 0-471-01449-4 as a training and reference text on indexing.

Bear