Re: Video vs The Written Word

Subject: Re: Video vs The Written Word
From: ct <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:23:13 -0700

Hmmm...well depends upon how you choose to do it. You can include your
script files with a database to index as search material. Or include
subtitles and search those if you're really looking to add searchable text
to video. Oracle has even been working to introduce shape recognition into
it's video tools so you can search for features in the video independent of
any "words or text".

The fact is this. If you want it done, it can be done. It is not hard,
I've done it. I just simply do what the client pays me to do. If it's not
something anyone else wants to do, then that's okay! I can take more jobs
doing it and raise my hourly according to demand. No worries.

As for video being a "new" technology??? Hello?

-Collin

On 2/20/07, Sarah Bouchier <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com> wrote:

>Searching for Video can be a simple task if done correctly.
>
>Keywords, tags, proper naming, etc.

I welcome technology that allows me to find the particular information I
need in even a ten minute video. I just ain't seen it.

>Technology is also coming along in that arena...not an excuse to
"blind-
>eye"
>the future, eh

Equally, however, there is no excuse to rush into using new technology
just because it /is/ new.

The job of the technical author in the future will be exactly what it
has always been; use the best possible route to deliver various kinds of
information to the user. Sometimes that will be video, and then we
shall discuss the pros and cons of the different video-producing
software and methods on this list. Often it will be text, and then we
shall discuss how to get around the latest features of Word3000.

And always we shall be both cautious and skeptical, because there is no
one here who hasn't experienced the suffering of spending years
painfully maintaining and updating something that seemed like a good
idea at the time...

Sarah Bouchier
Technical Author
exony

printed documentation. Features include single source authoring, team
authoring,

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/straylightsghost%40gmail.com

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul
in this world--and never will."

Mark Twain