RE: When you hear the Axe in the dark...

Subject: RE: When you hear the Axe in the dark...
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Sean -dot- Brierley -at- ipc -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:07:29 -0500

Staying late on your last day at a job is generally a bad idea
because it can raise suspicions that you are trying to create
an opportunity to do something nefarious when there are
fewer people around to witness it. Best not to raise that
kind of suspicion, however groundless it might be. And you
just know that if *anything* should go wrong while you
are still on their property, somebody is going to think you're
to blame. The only safe thing to do is leave the building
the minute that your employment ends, while everybody
can see you leave with nothing that isn't yours to take.

From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -dot- Brierley -at- ipc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:24:53 -0500

But then, as an employee, I've never really worked for an employer who
tried the "employee retention" thing.

I did once submit my resignation from a job I liked because:

a) I had a very interesting and intriguing offer from someone I knew, I
was young, and the time was right.

b) An employee was hired for me by the owner of the company, and the
employee kept making end-runs and got perks beyond what was available
for me.

c) I would have been happy to provoke a real counter offer and would
have stayed had that happened, but I knew it wasn't in the cards.

My last day there, I worked quite late to finish up some work and leave
things in a good state--I was the second-to-last person to close up that
night. I'd do that again. You do what you can, try not to burn bridges,
give a nod to good employers when you see them, and try to achieve your
personal goals.

As for a resignation letter, I recommend using tech writing skills and
being short and to the point: you are leaving to pursue other
opportunities, mention you enjoyed working with your co-workers, give a
nod to the company as a whole, and throw in when your last day will be.
Heck, use a bulleted list if you want.

Cheers.

Turn searches into helpful donations. Make your search count. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG