RE: When you hear the Axe in the dark...

Subject: RE: When you hear the Axe in the dark...
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:12:00 -0500

John Posada asked:

Has anyone ever handed in a resignation, then be given a better offer
to stay, and not found out that it was just a stall until a
replacement could be found and you were shown the door?
Nope, never.

On the flip side, as an employer, it has never been worth the effort
to attempt to re-gruntle an employee who was disgruntled enough to
vote with their feet (or threaten to do so). When I was young and
stupid and attempted to do so, their negative attitude was only
multiplied. It had already been a detriment to the team, and our
repeated coaching about it was actually one of the reasons this
person was looking elsewhere (we were "too critical" because we
objected to his repeated negativity, off-color/racial/sexist remarks,
etc.).

When I gave notice and relented in response to a great counter offer
(double salary and nice new title), they conned me into training a
replacement with promise of a substantial promotion. As soon as she
was ready, I was gone with ten minutes' notice. We were all once
younger and more gullible than we are now.

When my (ex) husband announced that he didn't like the way a new young
manager had changed "his" job and he was going to transfer out of the
department -- and then didn't follow up on his threat -- she very
quietly and correctly told him at his next quarterly review that
she couldn't keep any employees who weren't happy working for her,
and she hadn't seen any action on his part to seek another position,
so in another three months he was going to be gone whether he located
another spot or not. And _then_ he was given ten weeks of continued
salary and daily use of the corporation's excellent outplacement office
for another six months.

At that company, the practice of cutting people loose unhappily
was turned into a high art form with layoffs in the thousands.
Can't say they weren't generous, though.

Dori Green