Re: Another Word question

Subject: Re: Another Word question
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Roberts, Dan x36117" <dan_roberts -at- adp -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:25:31 +0530

On 2/14/07, Roberts, Dan x36117 <dan_roberts -at- adp -dot- com> wrote:

Probably an easy answer that I missed somewhere.

In previous versions of Word, I could use Format>Styles (or ALT+F, S - which
was even better), then hit the first letter of the style I wanted, to find
the style (or get close to it). Less mousing, faster (for me) results.

That method of selecting styles seems to have gone away in Word 2003. Does
anyone know how to switch it back on, or know of an equivalent set of
keystrokes in W2003?

In both Word 2000 and 2003, the Ctrl+Shift+S keyboard shortcut works for me:

If you have the Formatting toolbar visible, it moves your focus to the
Styles dropdown on that toolbar. Start typing the first few letters of
the style you're looking for, and you can use a couple of arrow key
keystrokes to move down, choose the one you want, and hit Enter to
apply.

If you *don't* have the Formatting toolbar visible, it pops up the
Style dialog. Here, you have a textbox where you can do the same
type-the-first-letters trick. Locate the style you want, hit the down
and up arrow keys a couple of times till the Preview box updates
itself to show the effect of the style you've chosen, then use Alt+A
to apply and close.
Note: I say "till the Preview box updates" because it seems a little
buggy; I tried searching for the Emphasis character style, located it,
but it didn't get applied to selected text until I shuffled the
selection highlight down a couple of styles in the list, then brought
it back up to Emphasis; when the Preview was updated, Word applied it
to the selected text in my doc.

So... try Ctrl+Shift+S, and choose to hide or show the Formatting
toolbar based on whether you only want to apply a style (toolbar
should be visible) or open the Style dialog to edit or add a style.

Cheers,
Ed.