Color-bar behind text in browsers

Subject: Color-bar behind text in browsers
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:57:36 -0500

Hey list...

A version of this came around a couple of years ago, I think.

Our company WebHelp template includes an orange color-fade bar behind the
top-level
page-title heading - it's part of the page-title definition in the CSS.
That is, it's jpg image the height of 24-pt text, and as wide as the page.
It's only purpose is to be a bit ornamental and to make the heading text
stand out.

That heading might be literally at the top of the page, or it might be below
a header section
on some types of page.

In IE6 and other browsers, it looked fine.

In IE7, and in current-model FireFox and Opera, I don't get to see the
background color
bar, unless the heading is about to scroll off the top of the page.

Is there some setting that should be applied in the CSS to fix this?

Is it clear what I'm trying to describe?

This is obviously not a show-stopper, but QA noticed it, and it's annoying
that it used
to work and no longer does.

Kevin