Re: Need a word!

Subject: Re: Need a word!
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Andrew Warren" <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:37:36 -0600

This sounds like a "Rule Application Hierarchy," or "something something
Hierarchy."

Re made up terms (or titles for a subheading or two), if they're clear, I
don't think it matters that they aren't established. The important thing is
clarity in communicating about the topic.

For instance, I'm currently rewriting some procedures in which people will
be "creating a Device." Very clear to the original writer, I'm sure, but the
users aren't creating a device, they're setting up or configuring a device
to control another one. Still puzzling this out.

On 2/13/07, Andrew Warren <awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com> wrote:

Nancy Allison wrote:

> Any rule can be applied at the organization level, group level, or
> individual level. These levels are collectively called "Rule Levels."
>
> In this application, the smaller overrides the larger, so if the No
> Parking rule was applied for 90 days to the organization, but the No
> Parking rule was also applied to Suzy Smart for 30 days (and Suzy is
> part of the organization), for Suzy, the 30-day limit applies, not the
> 90.
>
> What is this called? If it was hardware, I'd call it interrupt levels.
> But it's not.
>
> My section is currently called "How Rule Levels Take Precedence," but
> that seems both wordy and vague. There surely is a term for this, but
> I'm blanking out on it.

Nancy:

"When rules conflict, the most-specific rule is applied: A group-level
rule takes precedence over an organization-level rule, and an
individual-level rule takes precedence over a group-level rule."

If there's also an "unconditional" rule level -- I'd be surprised if
there weren't -- you might want to point out that it's an exception to
the "most-specific rule applies" rule.

You could title the section "Conflicts and Precedence".

-Andrew

=== Andrew Warren - awarren -at- synaptics -dot- com
=== Synaptics, Inc - Santa Clara, CA

Kathleen MacDowell
www.writefortheuser.com