RE: Rant continued from previous page (was Re: Another Word guruquestion)

Subject: RE: Rant continued from previous page (was Re: Another Word guruquestion)
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:58:12 -0500

Mike,

This one sentence on user responsibility (quoted way below) reminds me
of my days as tech writer for the now defunct Quadram Corp of Norcross,
GA, back in the mid-1980s (it really doesn't _seem_ so long ago <sigh>).

The firm manufactured personal computer peripherals for PC's, XT's and
AT's (hey kids, remember all of those? Real screamers at 4 MHz). Among
other things, my user guides included all the info on how to install and
set up memory expansion cards or multifunction cards to reach the
maximum attainable RAM (640 Kb in those days). I included info on
determining the Starting Memory Address as well as how to set the DIP
switches.

But the BIGGEST pain was the marketing guy I was assigned to who wanted
me to include SPECIFIC info on how to remove the computer cover, no
matter which brand you had. From what I recall, different PC companies
had slightly different cover-removal procedures, and each was already
covered in THEIR OWN manuals. I told my marketing so-called boss that it
was sufficient to simply direct the user to remove the computer case
cover (per the manufacturer's instructions) but he simply refused to
agree. I compromised by generalizing and using the most common methods I
knew about.

True, they all required simply removing slot-head screws and going from
there, but this guy wanted diagrams of where the screws might be, etc.

It's stuff like this that helped me develop a very low opinion of
marketers. I know there are LOTS of good ones out there, but
unfortunately, I've met too many of the other kind.

Quadram was a top-notch company with top-notch people and I LOVED it.
But boy-oh-boy, if they had only reigned in the marketing people. It was
marketing control of stuff they shouldn't be involved with that made
problems for the company.

-- Ken in Atlanta