re: maintaing a list of changes in User Guides between versions.

Subject: re: maintaing a list of changes in User Guides between versions.
From: "Harris, Michael" <Michael -dot- Harris -at- innocon -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 06:17:24 -0500

Caroline,

Maintaining a list of changes between versions of documentation is
common in military or government documentation. A reason for this is
that users of equipment who may actually use the documentation need to
know what has changed from one version to the next. It may not be
cost-effective to always replace entire manuals and people may opt to
redline their existing ones, especially if their own copy is covered
with personal notes already. My employer is a defense contractor and we
are often required to show changes from one version to the next.
Sometimes we are even required to used good, old-fashioned change bars
within the document. I don't know if your customer is military or
government, but even if not, whoever has tasked you with the
responsibility may simply be used to seeing changes identified. I hope
this helps.

Michael Harris

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 14:11:23 +0200
From: "Caroline Tabach" <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>
Subject: maintaing a list of changes in User Guides between
versions.
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
<ff2460010702050411geaf44f9jcc726974a17cae19 -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>

Someone asked us if there is any way that we keep track of
changes
that are made in our user guides/helps from version to version.

Is this something that people do?

Since books are changed as a result of software releases, we
know more
or less what has been done, but there is no list of changes (or
history file)

Is this a requirement in some sections of the communications
industry?

--
Caroline Tabach
Technical/Marcom writer RADCOM