Database analysis

Subject: Database analysis
From: "Susan Hogarth" <hogarth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:03:05 -0500

I need help! I wrote a section for a proposal on database analysis
that sounded like "We'll look VERRRRY VERRRY carefully at existing
databses of this type and see what they have."

It was several paragraphs longer, but you get the gist. Unfortunately
so did my boss. Charitably, he called it a 'bit thin'. VERRRY
charitably.

Now, I *had* asked to run it by a consultant, but he didn't want to
pay her. Now he says I should have insisted. *sigh*.

Anyway!!! Onward!!!

It occurs to me that many of you fine folks might have some
understandign of this area. What are the sorts of questions one asks
when looking at existing databases to see what they do and how that
can help shape a new database of the same type but a different focus?

The databases in question contain information culled from scientific
literature. Not reference information, but actual data.

--
Susan Hogarth
http://www.colliething.com