Re: Interviewing Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Interviewing Tech Writers
From: "iFaqeer (SIA)" <techdarwaish -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:36:23 -0800

I hate to put it this way, but I have found a self-conscious cleaving
to that kind of list of questions rather... shall we say... juvenile.
I should stop there and focus on the positive...

What I have done when I have had to interview folks--whether as hiring
manager or not; and even non-tech writers that would have to interact
with me or other tech writers--is to sit down with what I consider my
list of "stuff" that a tech writer has to deal with in their job
(language; tech writing skills; people; equipment, software tools,
etc.; HR stuff; ... I have the list somewhere) and tried to get their
take on each. "How much experience do you have with FrameMaker? What
do you think of it? You love it? Okay, what are its shortcomings..."
And during that process tried to get a feel for their level of
expertise and their temperament. Not following a checklist too stiffly
often helps the conversation flow more easily, making natural
transitions between topics and so on. And helps people loosen up where
they will volunteer examples and so on. You know get to the point
where a tech writer, for example, is exhibiting how fanatic they
are--or are not--about grammar, or FrameMaker, and so on. As I keep
saying, to be a good tech writer, your command on the language an
dgrammar has to be above average--but an attitude that is
over-enthusiastic towards such things (for example, being quick to
pass judgement with words like....oh, shall we say, juvenile?) can be
a good indicator of how folks will work with others.

That's as far as I can get for now without completely babbling...I
have a bit of a cold.

iF/SIA

On 2/5/07, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:

The questions don't matter -- candidates lacking in the necessary
interpersonal skills can still prepare "correct" answers to any
question.

What really matters is the candidate's interaction with your current
staff in various small groups. Schedule a few hours at least, and
encourage your staff to engage candidates in unscripted conversations
about the work they're doing (on both sides). Add donuts and soft drinks
to loosen things up. The staff's cumulative gut feeling about the
candidate will be an important indicator of future success.

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as techdarwaish -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/techdarwaish%40gmail.com

[Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf]
-----------------------------------
Cell: (510) 304 5927
Web: http://iFaqeer.wikispaces.com/
Blog & Podcast: http://iFaqeer.blogspot.com or http://pkblogs.com/iFaqeer
Urdu Podcast: http://AzadKarachiRadio.blogspot.com or
http://pkblogs.com/AzadKarachiRadio
poochha joe mainay aap ka parda woe kyaa huwa
kehnay lageen ka aql pay mardhon kee par gaya
[Asked I, your veil, what became of it?
Said she it sits, now, on the minds of menfolk]
Akbar Allahabadi, Urdu/South Asian/Muslim Poet