RE: The 'user' in User Manual

Subject: RE: The 'user' in User Manual
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Sarah Bouchier'" <Sarah -dot- Bouchier -at- exony -dot- com>, "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:13:16 -0800

I was focused on the function of the document and the approach required to
develop a document that functions as it should. When an author sees himself
as a communicator to the audience, then he writes himself into the document.
This is an excellent approach for marketing where a document will shout to
the audience "You need this product!" This is the wrong approach for a
technical document because it gives the reader a sense that he *must* do
something. So the best technical documentation does not include the author
or the reader.

A way to understand this is to think, "Is the document directly telling
someone something as a person-to-person communication?" or "Is the document
a how-to of a process that should reflect how the reader should think to
complete the process?" In the first sense, pronouns are necessary, in the
second second sense, pronouns are distracting and detract from the document.
This is not a grammar issue but an issue of semantics. Grammar governs the
form of written language and semantics governs the function of language.

I was never and am not now concerned with grammar. People who keep posting
about grammar (after following the thread) have totally missed the
discussion of semantics in favor of a side argument about grammar. The
discussion of semantics is broader than the discussion of grammar. Grammar
is for writing only. Semantics covers all language that includes writing
and thought. What I discussed was a thought process. Another summary of
the concept that I was conveying is "Think like the mind of the reader."
People do not think to themselves "You must do this." They think "Do this."
This concept is semantical and not grammatical, so grammatical terms are not
necessary and in the case of people like me who do not know the terms, they
are confusing.

> > That means no "I," "You," "He," "She," "the User," etc.
> >should be in the document.
>
> It's a theory I've tried to follow, but I've been unable to
> manage it in all situations. I'd appreciate any tips from
> those who fare better than I :)

I learned several years ago that pronouns were inappropriate in technical
communication and have made the habit of not using them. I spent more time
developing this skill while I learned it than I do now. I challenge myself
by re-writing bad communication just to prove to myself that no writing must
have a person in it to function. Marketing documentation, correspondence,
and other types of communication, of course, benefit from pronouns, but they
can be written without them. Technical communication should not have
pronouns, except of course when a third-party to the communication is
referenced, as in a system administration document that mentions the user.
A user manual should never refere to "the user." Provide an impossible
example and I will re-write it.

> What do you mean by 'without specifying a direction'? The
> way I think of it, in a document saying 'click the pretty
> shiny button' there is plainly a direction; the
> document/author is telling me to do things. I don't think I
> can be understanding what you mean; can you clarify?

Direction means that the communication is directed to someone. As I have
tried to make clear in this message, technical communication should read as
though it is coming from the reader's own mind and is not directed to the
reader as it is when "you" is stated.

Lauren