RE: Tips on Getting Hired

Subject: RE: Tips on Getting Hired
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "Edwin Skau" <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Ami WRIGHT" <ami -at- ziplink -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:43:02 -0600

As a hiring manager, er, sheep, I agree it is my responsibility to make
certain I understand what an applicant has to offer -- no doubt about
that.

It is the applicant's responsibility to make that information easily
found and understood -- it's an exchange between equals -- the writer
likely has more than one firm expressing interest, and the firm likely
has more than one potential candidate.

It is also true that, if you are paying attention, you will be learning
something new in each job or assignment.

The two-page limit in CV's IS capricious, arbitrary, and reasonable, in
most cases. I would not discard a CV (and the applicant it represents)
solely on the length of their sales materials, but I'll admit a
five-page CV night move to the "after lunch" pile . . . . . .

One of the things I look for in an experienced writer (either for a
staff position or as a consultant/contractor) is a trait best expressed
as a lack of ego -- I've found that writers who cannot divorce their ego
from an assignment often do not serve the project/employer as well as
they might.

Time for my morning sheering ;-}

John Rosberg