Re: create manually an index (html) of multiple documents (html)

Subject: Re: create manually an index (html) of multiple documents (html)
From: "Ethan Metsger" <emetsger -at- obj-sys -dot- com>
To: "t a" <technicalauthor -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- uk>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:17:20 -0500

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 07:54:37 -0500, t a <technicalauthor -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- uk> wrote:

Readers,
I have a number of html pages that act as an introduction to other pages, e.g.
html document a, which contains a list:
<start list>
html document 1
html document 2
html document 3
<end list>
html document b, which contains a list:
<start list>
html document 4
html document 5
<end list>
html document c,
etc.
I want to be able to extract the text of each list item and use that text as a list, for a separate html (index) page. I'm not sure whether I need to make the index a list of hyperlinks yet (optional for now).
What type of code should I write? Can this task be achieved with rdf, or perhaps xslt?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, René.

I'm not sure what your working environment is, but this could probably be accomplished fairly readily with utilities like sed or awk. It would depend on the format of your intro pages, and that will complicate things some; but if you're familiar at all with regular expressions or know someone who is, you can probably extract the lists very easily.

For example, you can print out all of the lists in a file with awk as follows:

awk '/<ul>/,/<\/ul>/ { print $0; }' <filename>

You can dump the lists to a file if you'd like, too, for quick editing (e.g., adding an HTML header, et c.).

Awk and sed are both UNIX tools but can be used on a properly equipped Windows machine. The likelihood is that it's not worth the effort to get a Windows box properly equipped for just this purpose.

Best,

Ethan

--
me -at- metsger -dot- com