Re: "Strict" Word template for end-users?

Subject: Re: "Strict" Word template for end-users?
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust, Security\)" <David -dot- Chinell -at- GE -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:16:10 -0800

Chinell, David F (GE Indust, Security) wrote:

Stuart:

Yes, that sounds like a much better approach, though it might require a teeny bit of extra effort on the behalf of the developer.

Anyway -- you helped me see it from a different angle -- letting them keep on doing what they usually do. So thanks for that!

An exercise to illustrate this:

First, lace your fingers.
Now, do it again, so that the other thumb ends up on the outside.

It isn't that this task is especially hard to do, but it does force the user to relearn, and that feels awkward. You will avoid it. I think that Stuart's advice becomes axiomatic when you see how it applies our work.

We're all familiar with Don Norman's classic book "The Design of Everyday Things." Here's a quote from the chapter titled "User-Centered Design", for your Friday enjoyment.

<quote>
Think of each action by the user as an attempt to step in the right direction; ... Think of the action as part of a natural, constructive dialog between user and system. Try to support, not fight, the user's responses. ... Design explorable systems. Exploit forcing functions.
</quote>
If you can't find the practical application in this in your work, revisit the book, especially the illustrations by Jacques Carelman, which evoke the fiendish absurdity of designs resulting from failure to lace the User Requirements with the Functional ones. When we deliver a 'Convergent Bicycle' or 'Preknotted Handkerchief' and expect users to be able to use it, they might rightfully prepare the pillory for us. We're lucky that they only ignore us when we design without them in mind.

Have fun,

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com