Re: Chopped Liver?

Subject: Re: Chopped Liver?
From: ct <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:33:45 -0700

I don't know about that (the pay, that is).

I think it's all how you market yourself and what you stand up and
demand. I am negotiating a new job right now. The pay I am asking
for is quite nice.

Say...it (theoretically) could be equivalent to a java developer of
some unnamed level and more than most PM's?

(Theoretically)

-Collin

On 1/30/07, Barbara Vega <BarbaraV -at- libertyims -dot- com> wrote:

Ummm, This is starting to sound depressing. Coming from teaching, I
thought I was pretty well-paid.

You guy's comments along with another I received the other day are
giving me pause. (Menopause?)
Or, more like depression. Too early for Menopause.

At any rate.

The conversion went like this:

The person is in Denver. She has beena Business Analyst and has done
Tech Writing/Proposal-Grant Writing (as we know there is overlap).
She is depserately looking for work - she is between contracts. I told
her to consider Tech writing. She said "Oh, naaah. I want to stay a
Business
Analyst. For on thing it pays better."

Are we in the Chopped liver section or somethin' ?

Your comments to make me feel better would be appreciated. Especially
today when I found out this year we OWE the IRS.

Barbara Early-Mid-Life-Crisis Vega

<snip>

At my last gig, they didn't seem to have the position "technical writer"

in the part of the organization that wanted me.
Hence, they called me a Project Manager.
I checked- the lowest grade of PM at that company is a pay grade higher
than the top level of Information Designer.

No problem...
Cheers
Jay
(moving to new gig next week!)

>> "What does our Tech Writer do again? Can he be a Project Manager
>> instead? That's Billable!"
<snip>

Heheh, I agree with you.

When they proclaimed me Project Manager I got a $10k/yr raise. So I'm
not complaining. I'm also the only salaried employee in the company
that gets paid overtime (I negotiated that one verrrry carefully).

But there are some things you just can't fix with money. Right?

-Collin
<snip>
<

~Barbara~

"This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary
mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must
not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this
message if you are not the intended recipient.

If you receive this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone (collect)
at (714) 751-6900 and return the original message to us at the above listed address via electronic
mail. We will reimburse you for telephone expenses involved. Thank you."

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed by SurfControl Email Filter
software in conjunction with McAffee virus detection software.

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/straylightsghost%40gmail.com

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human
soul in this world--and never will."

Mark Twain