Re: Techie's List

Subject: Re: Techie's List
From: "iFaqeer (SIA)" <techdarwaish -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:04:07 -0800

I was going to say something along that vein. Consider this a voice
supporting that.

On 1/30/07, Tariel, Lauren R <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu> wrote:

It isn't libel if it is true, also the list owner can disclaim any responsibility for the opinion of others, unless the opinion seems false and outrageous. Or something like that. There are man-hater web sites that get sued for false statements, but it seems to me that the statements need to be really, really bad before plaintiffs get a chance to make a case. But the truth is still an absolute defense for libel. So I've heard, but I am not attempting to give or imply legal advice here.

The list can also include a ranking system and contractor comments, like the ranks and comments provided about users of Ebay and Amazon web sites. Ranking is subjective and comments tie back to the person that made the comments, so the list owner could have some protection here.

Lauren