Re: Ethics of posting samples?

Subject: Re: Ethics of posting samples?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:29:06 -0800

Regardless of what editing you do, you need permission to
redistribute any work that is the property of others.

In 15 years I've never had a former employer or client decline
a request to use their documents in my portfolio of samples.
However, I don't post samples where just anyone can potentially
view them (I send soft copies or bring printed documents for
examination in interviews on request). So I have never asked anyone for permission to publicly or semi-publicly repost their documents and don't know what the likely response
would be.
I have on occaision provided links to work I've done for past employers or clients that is accessible online on their own
websites, since they have made the documents publicly
viewable.

Incidentally, in the same 15 years, I can't recall ever being asked by a former employee or contractor for permission to
use work done for me in a portfolio...

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>

Hi, folks. I'm considering creating a web page with links to pdfs of various
docs I've written. Then, I can simply point potential clients to the page
and they can look at whatever type of sample they want.

What do you think of the issue of posting unedited excerpts? Product names,
etc., would pop up here and there.

I'm guessing I need to edit out product names and other identifying terms.
What would you do?