RE: Recruitment Agencies

Subject: RE: Recruitment Agencies
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Ned Bedinger'" <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>, "'List,Techwriter'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:43:14 -0800

Knowing the state where the issue occurs is also good. Because then we can
provide state-specific information. Having been to the Labor Commissioner
and the DFEH in California for Labor and discrimination issues respectively,
I can say where to get good information in this state.

I don't know how other states structure their agencies, but Labor and Equal
Employment issues are handled at the state level, although they are
sometimes governed by federal law, such as violations of the constitution
essentially, that guarantees the freedom to contract, and violations of
federal wage laws. States tend to regulate how and when a person gets paid
and minimum state wage violations when the state has a higher minimum wage
than what is in the federal law. States also enforce the federal laws, but
claims that cannot be resolved at the state level can escalate to the
federal level.

Nothing like too much information on a Sunday, eh? I have to get outside
and enjoy the Spring-like weather before we get that long day of rain that's
supposed to hit sometime.

Lauren