Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500

Subject: Re: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:01:55 -0800

I agree with Richard that the job description, as a stab at recruiting a tailor-made candidate who can do eveything, is far-fetched. I guess I approve of the requirement writer's fixation on 'inventory of skills" (at least it isn't ambiguous), but anyway, if someone had all those skills, I doubt they'd be reading email recruitment notices for tech writers.

I'm wary of becoming Mr. Negative about the ability of hiring managers and recruiters to effectively capture the meaningful bits for a tech writer's job description, especially in a brief recruitment notice, but I'll stick my neck in the meatgrinder to demonstrate that I kinda think that the first part (excellent communication skills, years experience, ...) is boilerplate. I weary of this sort of abstraction in assertions about what it takes to be a successful tech writer. It seems like all job descriptions require excellent interpersonal and (sic) communication skills, strong technical writing skills, fair-to-middling background and experience, proficiency in MS Office, blah bah.

When they specify all this stuff, it makes me think they're spinning their wheels--they want the description to resonate with tech writers, but they're aiming at protocol droids ("Hi, I'm Communi-Katie, the excellent communications doll. Please insert specific requirments module. Please insert specific requirments module. Please insert specific requirments module. ..."). . I'm afraid that my T-letters for this position would reach out from the page and grab them insistently by the lapels, as required, but from there I'd be shaking them and administering some sobering slappage.

With kind regards,

Ned "not really a violent person" Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

Combs, Richard wrote:

Ned Bedinger wrote:
I received the following job announcement today. Sheesh, WRT specific requirements, it never rains but it pours. Poseurs need not apply!

I think everyone's misinterpreting the announcement -- easy to do, as
it's poorly presented. Let me take a stab at clarifying (fixing the list
formatting may help). Here's what I _think_ they're trying to say:
-- First, we have the specific position information:
POSITION : Sr.Tech Writer -

Five to six years experience in writing software product technical and user documentation in engineering environment
* Strong technical writing skills
* Strong English interpersonal and communication skills"

-- Then we have a _boilerplate_ section that lists the experience
requirements for seven different categories of positions. This part, I'm
guessing, appears at the bottom of all their position announcements.
Each item applies to a specific type of position, so for this position,
only item 6 applies: _________________________________________
OTHERS SKILLS REQUIRED ARE MENTIONED BELOW ( note: CANDIDATES SHOULD BE PERMANENT EMPLOYEES IN THEIR PRESENT
ORGANIZATIONS)

1) C# .NET SQL,WINDOWS FORMS,XML- 3- 10yrs exp
2) C++ VC++ MFC - 2 to 10yrs EXP
3) CORE JAVA ,J2EE - 2 to 10yrs EXP
4)QTP/WINRUNNER AUTOMATION TESTING 3+YRS EXP
5)LOADRUNNER PERFORMACE TESTING -3+YRS EXP 6)TECHNICAL WRITERS 5+YRS EXP
7)VERIFICATION LEAD / ENGINEER 3- 10YRS EXP ( PRODUCT TESTING)
IOW, the company is saying: When we hire C++ or Java engineers, we
always require 2-10 years experience. When we hire automation testers,
we require 3+ years. When we hire tech writers, we require 5+ years.
Etc.
I really don't think they're looking for a software engineer with
extensive experience in three different programming environments, plus
extensive QA testing experience, doc experience, and QA lead experience.
I don't think such a person exists. I doubt it would be possible for one
person to possess all that experience, given the age of the tools. (They
want up to 10 yrs. with .Net -- is it even that old?)