Re: Industry Experience (offshoot of Getting Hired)

Subject: Re: Industry Experience (offshoot of Getting Hired)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:28:59 -0800

A bit of perspective from the hiring side...

1. HR and agencies *are* looking for an "exact match on the basis of resume checkoff points, rather than actual writing ability." They have no other choice, because for the most part
they are not writing professionals and don't have any way of
recognizing your "actual writing ability."

2. Whenever I cite a specific tool in a job description, I always
say "or equivalent." yet I have never gotten a single resume that
responds to my call for experience with "Adobe Illustrator
or equivalent" by citing the candidate's familiarity with Corel
Draw, Inkscape or some other vector drawing program and
*saying* that that program is an "Illustrator equivalent" (and
I'm doing second screens of HR rejects, not all managers do
that). HR screeners and agencies aren't going to research all the apps you list in your resume to see if any of them are "equivalent" to what's in the job description; you have to *tell them* what is.

So if your resume just lists your experience and qualifications
generically and is not keying off the contents of the posting you are responding to, there's a good chance you are getting passed by because you've delivered a document that is not properly targeted to its readers.
Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>

Still, every time I interview for a position or have my resume tossed in the "other" pile I get the feeling that HR or some agency is looking for an "exact" match on the basis of resume checkoff points, rather than actual writing ability.

Every position I've ever had in tech writing has involved working with technologies and tools that differed from what I was using before, and I've found it very, very hard to get that idea past the gatekeepers. "Doesn't have Visio. Toss him out." That the process is automated just makes it worse.